Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Uncovering Beauty

A friend of mine reminded me that on this date in 1922, Howard Carter first entered the tomb of King Tut in Egypt, and the rest, as they say, is history. I had the good fortune of seeing the Tut exhibit that toured the U.S. during the 1970's; and in addition to the solid gold funeral mask, with which everyone is familiar, my favorite item from that exhibit was this ...


... a statue of Selket, the Egyptian goddess of magic and the underworld, and the funerary casket that she guards, which stands several feet high and is covered in gold. A true object of beauty, it is also the subject of the poster that I purchased at the exhibit and kept as a cherished memento for many years. I recently moved, and ironically, discovered the poster in a cache of other similar items "buried" in a storage room in my basement. A very welcome archaeological find of my own, and a great reminder of the most awesome display of manmade artifacts that I have ever seen.

A good day in my own mine, so to speak.

.

2 comments: